Offered in partnership by Mills Insurance Broker Ltd., Aviva Canada and the Ivey Business School
When Christie Mills opened her own insurance brokerage in 1979, she needed exceptional courage, tenacity and resilience to succeed. With integrity, innovation and a customer-first focus, she blazed a trail for women in the insurance sector.
As a tribute to her accomplishments as she retires, Mills Insurance Brokers Ltd., Aviva Canada and Ivey Business School proudly introduce the Women Creating Legacy in Insurance Scholarship Fund. Dedicated to accelerating the advancement and leadership of women in insurance, the Canada-wide search is on for women who exemplify Christie’s business values, are committed to innovation and put customers at the heart of every decision. Christie and her daughter Amy Mills will be on the judging panel to choose candidates who are blazing their own trails in today’s insurance sector. Program graduates will be asked to become ambassadors, help find new nominees and mentor future winners to ensure women leaders get the recognition and support they deserve.
The Women Creating Legacy in Insurance Scholarship Fund will offer two scholarships to attend the Ivey Business School’s Leadership Program; one in April 2018 and the other in April 2018. Each one-week executive education course will teach recipients to think more strategically, enhance their leadership abilities and address complex management issues. They will also have access to personal coaching from faculty and peer networks.
Women who work in the insurance sector in Canada and share the same determination and values that Christie exhibited throughout her career are eligible.
Each candidate must have a strong record of:
- Demonstrating vision, leadership and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Exemplifying strong values, including tenacity, authenticity and loyalty
- Championing the customer and putting them at the heart of every decision
- Being an extraordinary role model for women in the industry
- Driving industry innovation forward to respond to evolving customer needs
- Leading digital transformation initiatives that break molds and transform the industry
Candidates may self-nominate or be nominated by an employer, peer or client.
Nominations should focus on how the candidate exemplifies Christie’s values and how she is transforming the business by committing to innovation and putting the customer first.
- A personal statement and video (optional) sharing the pioneering work the candidate has achieved does and the difference she makes for customers and communities. Examples include:
- How she’s making a difference in the industry by driving innovation, digital transformation and customer-centricity
- How she’s pioneering new initiatives within her organization
- Activities she’s involved with outside her company to further herself professionally
- How she supports the professional advancement of women in insurance
- The name and contact details of a professional reference from an existing employer who can speak to the candidate’s exceptional leadership abilities, commitment to advancing innovative solutions and digital disruption and dedication to meeting evolving customer needs.
March 6, 2018 9:00 EST – March 27, 2018 17:00 EST: Nominations for the April 2018 Leadership Program are accepted
April 18, 2018 12:00 EST: Winner of the April 2018 Leadership Program is announced
April 23 – 27, 2018: Recipient attends the Ivey Leadership Program
Ivey Business School offers the Ivey Leadership Program to leaders who want to develop their leadership potential and make the shift from managing to leading. Through case studies, team-building exercises, a 360-degree assessment and post-program coaching, students form a deeper self-awareness of their own strengths and weaknesses as a leader and develop skills to drive performance, orchestrate change and develop a leadership culture within their organizations.
In 1979, Christie Mills built Mills Insurance Broker Ltd. from nothing. She had no partner. She didn’t buy the book or inherit the business. She started it from zero, with three young children at home. Over the years, she steadily grew the business thanks to her unwavering commitment, strong relationships and loyalty to her customers. Integrity, accountability and a commitment to innovation remain the cornerstones of Mills Insurance Broker Ltd. today, with her daughter Amy Mills at the helm.
As a tribute to her legacy, her brokerage, Aviva Canada and the Ivey Leadership Program partnered together to provide the Women Creating Legacy in Insurance Scholarship Fund to mark her retirement. The hope is to continue to inspire and advance women in leadership in the insurance sector.
The judging panel will include:
- Christie Mills, Founder Mills Insurance Brokers Ltd
- Amy Mills, President, Mills Insurance Brokers Ltd
- Danny Davies, Chief People Officer, Aviva Canada
- Marianna Michael, Vice President, Principal Broker at Canfinse Group Inc. (2017 Scholarship Recipient)
Marianna Michael, Vice President, Principal Broker at Canfinse Group Inc. was the winner of our 2017 scholarship. Marianna’s colleagues recognize her for being innovative and leading the way for brokers in the technology space. Marianna is passionate about promoting a strong and positive image of the insurance industry, and is committed to advancing her staff’s personal and educational growth.
By 28 years-old, Marianna was the Broker Principal of Canfinse Group Inc. She currently teaches at the Insurance Institute, sits on RIBO’s board of directors, and was recognized as one of CITB’s "Top 10 Under 40".
In 2009, Marianna implemented an e-commerce platform with a chat function for customers. She’s played a vital role in developing and implementing Canfinse’s client self-service portal. Her commitment to innovation led Canfinse to win the Technology Leader Award from CSIO, and she’s helped launch over 60 websites for clients.
10 Aviva Way
Markham, Ontario L6G 0G1
Please note, the Ivey Business School’s Leadership Program is only offered in English, and as such, all nominees must be able to read, write and speak English proficiently.